For a GIS (geographic information system) map view of Valleyview, which includes information such as civic and legal address, lot sizes and assessment values, please access Munisight at the following link. Click on “Click HERE for Public Access” and choose Town of Valleyview.
Property assessments and tax notices are completed yearly.
Assessments are evaluated based on a number of factors, including lot and home size, market value and physical condition.
For Assessment inquiries please call: 780-524-5150 or fax: 780-524-2727. For Tax Certificates ($35.00) and Letters of Compliance ($50.00) please fax: 780-524-2727 or use the Contact Us tab to email the Assessment/Taxation Department.
If you believe your or any other assessment is unfair, you may file a written complaint to the Assessment Review Board. The Assessment Review Board has the authority to review your assessment and direct the assessor to make amendments. The function of the Assessment Review Board is to hear evidence as to whether your property is assessed on an equitable basis with similar properties.
Pursuant to Section 460 of the Municipal Government Act:
A person wishing to make a complaint about any assessment or tax must do so in accordance with this section.
- A complaint must be submitted on the form prescribed in the Regulations.
- A complaint must explain why the complainant believes the information shown on an assessment or tax notice is incorrect.
- A complaint must also be accompanied by the current fees set by Council and if the appeal is successful the fee will be refunded.
Please note – Your complaint must be filed with the Clerk of the Assessment Review Board, on or before the final date of complaint as shown on your Property Assessment and Tax Notice.
Pursuant to Section 479 of the Municipal Government Act:
A complaint against your assessed property value does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or, from late payment penalties. If a complaint is successful, the adjustment will be applied to the tax roll. Refund requests must be made in writing.
Please click on the following link for more information on Assessment Complaints: Assessment Complaints Information
Assessment Review Board Complaint Form: Municipal Affairs Complaint Form
Assessment and Taxation Notices
Assessment Details and Tax Account Details
The Assessment Details Section explains your Assessment Class (residential vs. commercial) and shows assessed value for land and improvements for the current and previous year.
Tax Account Details shows the following details with the corresponding levy:
- Municipal Taxes
- Alberta School Foundation Requisition
- Heart River Housing (Seniors) Requisition
The municipal portion of the funds collected are to provide services to the residents of the community. The requisitioned money is forwarded to the appropriate governing bodies.
Property Tax Calculations:
Residential Assessed Property Value x Total Tax Rate / 1000 = Annual Taxes Due
For example, if your single family residential property was assessed at $300,000.00 your residential taxes would be $3,564.33
$300,000.00 x 11.8811 (Plus any local improvements that may be in place)/ 1000 = $3,564.33
2022 Property Assessment & Tax Notice – Important Dates
- Date of Mailing: May 26, 2022
- Notice of Assessment Date: June 03, 2022
- Assessment Appeal Final Date: August 02, 2022
- Due Date: July 31, 2022
Current Property Tax Rates and Billing Procedures
MILL RATE - 2022
MUNICIPAL TAX RATE
PAVEMENT TAX RATE
ALBERTA SCHOOL FOUNDATION REQUISITION/HOLY FAMILY CRD#37
HEART RIVER HOUSE FOUNDATION (SENIORS) REQUISITION
TOTAL TAX RATE
For Account enquiries please call: 780-524-5150 or visit our office at 4909-50th Street Valleyview.
Terms of Payment:
DUE DATE for tax payments is the date shown on the front of your notice to avoid all penalties. Payments must be received or postmarked no later than the date specified on the front of this notice.
Note: Taxes levied are deemed to have been imposed for the period from January 1, to December 31, of the current year as indicated on the front of your Tax Notice.
- Current taxes:
No penalty is incurred if the balance is paid on or before the DUE DATE, as indicated on the front of your notice. Failure to make a payment on or before the DUE DATE or any subsequent penalty assessment date will result in a penalty charge. Penalties are assessed on the unpaid balance of the current year taxes and will be added into, and form part of, the unpaid tax balance.
- Penalty Rates: August 1st of the current year: 10%; September 1st of current year 5%.
Taxes in Arrears:
All taxes unpaid after December 31 of the current year are deemed to be in arrears and subject to a penalty of 5% effective January 1 of the following year. A further penalty equal to 1% of the unpaid arrears will be levied on the First of each month. Where there are arrears outstanding, partial payment shall be applied first to the arrears then to the current taxes, in accordance with the Municipal Government Act.
- Any payment of property tax forwarded by mail shall be deemed to have been received on the same date as the POSTMARK stamped on the envelope in which the said payment was mailed.
- Receipts issued in acknowledgment of a cheque or other negotiable instrument, shall be valid only when the amount or instrument has been collected by the Municipality.
- Any property with respect to which the taxes have been in arrears, is liable to proceedings under the Municipal Government Act.
- Where taxes are paid by a mortgage company, the owner is responsible to ensure that the taxes are paid on time.
Methods of Payment
Property tax payments can be made:
- In Person – at the Town Administration Office, Monday through Thursday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and Fridays between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm. Cash, cheque, debit and credit card payment are accepted. Please make cheques payable to: Town of Valleyview.
- Mail – the Town of Valleyview, P.O. Box 270 Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
- Drop Off Box– payments made by cheque can be made any time in the envelope depository at the front entrance of the Town Administration Office.
- By your mortgage company – the property tax notice shows the name of your mortgage company. We are expecting payment from them. If the mortgage company name does not appear on the notice and you believe it should, contact your mortgage company immediately.
- By a Financial Institution; Telephone or Internet Banking – payments can be made at most financial institutions. Your roll number is your account number.
The Town of Valleyview offers residents an option to pay their property taxes on a monthly payment plan. Please contact the Town Administration Office if interested. Payment plans run January 1st to December 31st.
Have you purchased real estate in the past few months?
Alberta Land Titles is currently experiencing delays in the processing of land title transfers. This may result in property owners not receiving tax notices for properties they purchased in 2022 or receiving a tax notice for a property they have recently sold. If you do not receive a 2022 tax notice for your property, contact the Town Office at 780-524-5150.
Please note that the Town is not responsible for delays. To avoid late payment penalties, property owners need to ensure their property taxis paid before the due date of July 31, 2022.